Being successful online can be equated to being successful offline. Building a successful online and e-commerce business requires the same discipline, diligence, careful planning, and determination.
To be one on top, here are ten simple steps that you can follow:
- Incorporate the name of your company to your web address. With the number of website names registered and being use online, the possibility of you being able to use the entire name of your company in your URL (web address) is slim. But you can always play around with the name of your website and add other words to make it more unique. If xyz.com is already taken, you can try adding words that will help tell your audience the type of company you are. Perhaps, you can make your URL like xyzrepair.com. The name of your web address is a big factor affecting your branding and market presence.
- Sign-up with e-commerce websites. Look for an e-commerce site that offers web-hosting package. Make sure that this e-commerce site is able to grow with you as you. It should also have features that would allow safe online transactions, shopping cart functions, high up-time reliability rate, and has marketing tools.
- Make your website user-friendly. Creating a website can by done by you, especially if you have a background in web design. On the other hand, you have the option to hire a professional web designer if you are not confident enough with your skills. The main thing that you need to make sure is that your website is friendly enough to first-time users. It should be easy to navigate.
- Link your website with merchant accounts. This means that your customers will be able to pay via different payment methods – PayPal, debit cards, credit cards, and other payment methods that seem fit to your kind of business. If you are able to provide a Cash-on-Delivery payment scheme, then that is also acceptable.
- Stand out by providing dedicated e-mail boxes for each product line or coming up with a targeted mailing list to help market your products online. If you know how to play your cards right, you will be able to stand out the right way and will attract the right customers to your e-commerce store.
- Keep track of your e-commerce store. It is important that you do this so you would know which product or marketing technique is effective or not. If you know which ones are performing well and which ones are not doing so great, then you will be guided on what marketing efforts to use and where to put most of your resources.
- Optimize your website. This can be done by using keywords that are being used in your industry. These keywords should be used in describing your product or should be present in every page of your site when possible. This will help you land on the first page of search engine searches. If you don’t know how to do this or have no idea which words you should use, you can always consult professional web marketers and have them do it for you.
- Once your website is created, you should decide when your “Grand Opening” is. If you have an idea of when your potential customers are paid (salary-wise), then you can choose the same date or a day after it. This will give you a high assurance of sales because your potential customers still have money to spend. In order to attract potential customers to your online store, you can make use of your mailing list and send them a marketing campaign. You can also offer discount coupons when possible.
- Plan ahead of time. It is a must that you make regular web page updates and website re-designs. This will help make your page current and more reliable. To make re-designs easy, you can always allow your customers to leave feedback on how to make your website better and more efficient. You can also make use of blogs to promote new products.
- Keep a watchful eye on web analytics. Web analytics will help you determine which works and which doesn’t the moment you launch your website online. This will also help you determine if pages of your website are doing what they are supposed to be doing. If not, you can have it tweak to encourage customers to visit the page. When the tweaking is done, don’t forget to promote the new upgrade or addition to your customers via e-mail.
If you are able to give attention to these aspects of the business before and after your e-commerce site is launched, then you are on your way to achieving a favorable market presence and market share. Just remember to continue doing what works, and tweak what doesn’t.