In the past few years, there has been a rise of mobile internet users. This means that more and more users are using their mobile devices – be it a smartphone or a tablet – to search things online. This calls for a change for all website owners. This entails that your website has to be desktop and mobile friendly at the same time. Making your website mobile friendly will help you gain organic traffic and increase your presence online. To do this, here are some tips that you can follow:
- Don’t separate desktop and mobile site. If you already have an existing website that is friendly to desktop users, you only need to make your existing content friendly to mobile users. You don’t have to make a separate mobile-friendly website just to be on the same boat as others.
- Create a responsive website. Having a responsive website design means having a mobile friendly and desktop friendly website. Your website will automatically adjust itself so it can be viewed from different devices.
- Make use of viewport meta tag. Using a viewport meta tag will help your website determine the size of the content that needs to be displayed when different users are using different types of devices. The use of this is very critical, especially if you want to make your website mobile-friendly. If you have successfully used viewport meta tag, your website will automatically adjust itself to fit the screen of the user.
- Be mindful of the sizes of your font and buttons. The size of your buttons and font matters a lot. Your font should be, at the minimum, 14px. This means that your users will not need to zoom in to read the content of your website. For your labels and forms, you can use a minimum of 12px. For your buttons, the bigger the size is, the better it will be for your users. This will also eliminate the chances of hitting the wrong button.
- Make use of hi-res images. Websites with high-resolution images are likely to capture more customers than those websites with poor images. It is for this reason that Instagram and Facebook are able to capture millions of users all over the world, because they were able to provide their users hi-res images.
- Do not use auto-zoom. The auto-zoom feature in your website can destroy the layout when it is viewed on a mobile device. If you have this feature on your website, you can have this corrected with the use of viewport meta tag.
- Make use of YouTube videos. If you have videos on your website, it is best that you let it go through YouTube embedding. Create an account in the site dedicated to your web page, upload your videos and make use of the embed option. YouTube embedding will help mobile users to view the video with ease, as the embed code is made to be responsive to different internet devices.
- Don’t limit the view of your mobile viewers. Even though your website looks very nice on a mobile device, you should not limit your customers to just the mobile site. Make sure that the option to view the desktop version of your website is available in just one click. Not all customers are the same. Some prefer the desktop version over the mobile version.
- Don’t stop testing your site. Just because it is working does not mean you have to stop testing it. Make sure that you have exhausted every possible mobile device that you can think of to make sure that your website works in all of it. Also, make sure that every page works on all devices. If not, make corrections as soon as possible. You don’t want to disappoint one customer, and lose a thousand in the process. Always remember that a happy customer is the best marketer.